Monday, March 23, 2009

Burial Rites

Another benefit to being in this profession is the ability to witness many different burial rites. The difference between Eastern Orthodox Catholics and Roman Catholics, for example, is significant. Or should I say, seems significant, since the Eastern Rite is usually conducted in the native language of the church such as Greek, Russian, or Armenian.

The Roman Catholic Burial Mass, of which I am most familiar, is generally an upbeat pep talk designed to offer prayers to lift the soul of the departed to Heaven and to ease the sorrow of the ones left behind. Uplifting songs such as "On Eagles Wings", "How Great Thou Art" and "All I Ask of You" are sung at almost every mass. Every now and then, a family will force me to ask for a non-religious song, which I know will only lead to my being ridiculed by whichever priest I make the request. Songs such as "Knockin on Heaven's Door" by Guns N' Roses or "My Way" by Frank Sinatra are destined to be turned down.

In addition to the nice music, the liturgy, or readings, are full of hope and comfort. The priests, who wear white by the way, generally do a nice job in conveying a positive message. It's as if admission into heaven is a foregone conclusion, and these prayers are just a formality.

The Eastern Rite Mass seems very morbid and dreary in comparison. Again, I'm only speculating because I, and seemingly everyone else in the church, can't understand a word of it. The priests wear long black robes and the alters are usually covered up. The music sounds somber and serious. It reminds me of a 16th century requiem in its power and beauty. The atmosphere inside the church conveys the feeling that this is for real, and the centuries of tradition reverberates in every deep sounding chant of the priest.

Guitar strumming, "Let There Be Peace On Earth" singing musicians definitely need not apply.

From what I know, the liturgy of the Eastern Rite is geared toward asking for forgiveness of whatever sins were committed during life. They seem to take Judgment Day much more seriously than their counterparts in Rome.

The bottom line is that dealing with death is extremely difficult. I strongly believe that during this time of grief and turmoil, it is vital to have some sort of tradition to fall back on in order to put some structure, and more importantly, meaning into it all.

Funeral Rites, be they Christian, Buddhist, Muslim or whatever, give us that strength to properly bury our dead and help us move on with our lives.

I wonder if the priest will allow "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin to be played in church during my funeral? I'm going to have my family insist that the funeral director ask.

I wish I could see the look on his or her face!

No comments:

Post a Comment